The workshop reminded me of spiderweb.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A work of Martin Margiela - reused socks into a jumper. Texture is similar to the mutton cloth.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ann Demeulemeester

 

Advertisements

– 18.10.11 –

The second part of the workshop was to remove the structure that we moulded and left to dry. From this, the structure was then placed on the mannequin to see what the results has been given to us.

The initial materials we had used seemed to have made the mannequin look too busy. Therefore we had gone in a different direction and started to remove some pieces from the structure and anything else that had obstructed the view of the base.

We agreed as a group that “Less” is definitely more. We all took turns in reworking the structure around the mannequin and then did drawings of our observation.

This part of the task was slightly more difficult compared to the first part of the session. I felt that in this workshop we had use more original and unique ideas rather than placing it as it were. This was more of a mental process rather than physical try and error.

Peace. – Sajj P.

– 11.10.11 –

Todays activity was a preparation for the next workshop.

We used nylon tights, mutton cloth, cling film and PVA glue to come up with new shapes to work with. Two chairs were constructed together and then covered in cling film to protect the chairs from staining.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We had covered the chairs in an interesting technique using mutton cloth as a base and applied nylon tights to build a stronger structure. Different methods like stretching, weaving, plaiting the nylon tights and inserted other form of mediums.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PVA glue was diluted with water and spread across the finished structure to harden and left to dry until the next workshop.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The aim of this workshop was to see what inspirations we could discover. This helped my mind to think “outside the box”.

Personally, I found the task slightly difficult as positioning the mediums was not as easy as demonstrated by the tutors.

This reminded me of spider webs and forms of art installations.

 

– 04.10.11 –

In continuation from the last workshop [ 27.09.11 ], we made paper folds and shapes on a larger scale. A0 sheets of paper were used.

We tried different combinations of folds and shapes to make it more interesting. Once formed, these shapes were placed on the mannequin. This was slightly difficult to form as the shape included all five rules.

An additional shape was made on much larger scale. The two pieces were then joined together to form a single piece.

Larger scale [ A0 sheets x two ]
Second part of the workshop was to work with a member and combine both shapes to structure as one exciting figure.
Two shapes as one.

We then dismantled our shapes by scrunchingsitting and battering.This is what has been produced.

On the whole, the workshop was really useful and generated plenty of motivation.

This is an inspiration because it keeps the creative juices flowing and being able to have unlimited ideas.

Peace. – Sajj P.

– 27.09.11 –

A series of paper manipulation started from a simple set of rules. My sequences of rules was:

  • Add a square.
  • Add a fold.
  • Add a triangle.
  • Add a fold.
  • Remove a triangle.
[ This was then repeated to form a manipulation of shapes. ]
[ Next step was to transfer the shapes onto a pattern paper, ready to cut and assemble into three dimensional formats. ]
 By trying several permutations to create  unusual shapes.
Each shape became more challenging to create
as they had an additional ‘rule’ added to the shapes.
This workshop was a worth while
experiment resulting in a diverse experience.
Peace. – Sajj P.